The Republican governor signed the measure without fanfare Sunday, shortly before leaving the country for a multi-day trade mission to Canada.
Last month, Brandon Gillespie, a student at Rocklin High School in California, decided to organize a pro-life walkout as a response to the March for Our Lives student walkout to protest gun violence.
Today is the day and joining Brandon are over 200 other schools across the country. It’s doubtful the media will give it much coverage – if they even recognize it at all. Participants are already being shamed on Twitter and some students say that administrators at their schools have not been as accommodating as they were for the March for Our Lives.
Gillespie told The Federalist:
“I asked for the same accommodation as the anti-gun protest, that teachers would be flexible in their lesson planning, and also for the availability of equipment that the anti-gun protestors were allowed to use,” Gillespie said in a statement. “I really was not surprised when they told me that they were not going to give me the accommodations and that they were not going to sanction this walkout as they did the previous one. It just confirms for me that there is a political double standard, at least in my school district, but I’m still going to be out there.”
The walkout begins at 10 a.m. and will last for 17 minutes. Students will stand in silence and prayer to mourn the loss of the ten babies that have been aborted at Planned Parenthood in that time frame.
For a list of participating high school and colleges, visit Prolifewalkout.org.