Serious question: People do understand that acting is, in fact, fake, right?
According to the latest outrage on social media, people may be having trouble with that notion of deciphering fantasy from reality.
Anyway, so here is what is causing all of the issue. Currently, Disney is filming Jungle Cruise, starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Emily Blunt. Jack Whitehall, a British actor, was recently cast as Emily Blunt’s character’s brother in the film.
Whitehall’s character is described as“hugely effete, very camp and very funny” and is also Disney’s first openly gay character. However, apparently, Whitehall is a heterosexual man and this has caused massive outrage…you know, cause he’s a straight man. This despite acting being a profession where pretend to be something that you are not.
Just look at some of these responses:
— Munroe Bergdorf 🌹🌹 (@MunroeBergdorf) August 13, 2018
— Chris Salvatore (@CSalvatore) August 12, 2018
— Callum Jackson (@cjjackson93) August 13, 2018
— Omar Sharif Jr. (@OmarSharifJr) August 13, 2018
Open Letter 📄 – “So… pic.twitter.com/JY4EzowtQr
— Omar Sharif Jr. (@OmarSharifJr) August 14, 2018
It’s absolutely crazy that a casting can cause this much turmoil. I wonder what would happen if people realize the following:
- That Will Ferrell really wasn’t an elf in the film Elf
- That Seth McFarlane is a real person and not, in fact, just the voice of a bear.
- That Bruce Willis was never actually a cop even though he appeared in the Die Hard films.
- David Hasselhoff is not really a lifeguard and doesn’t truly have the ability to talk to a car.
- That the Avengers are not real.
- Indiana Jones is not an archaeologist.
- Star War’s “The Force” isn’t an actual thing.
Anyway, let’s hold off telling them all that truth, it may actually cause their heads to explode.